Created a mock magazine cover and one spread.
PROCESS (Programs, Tools, Skills, FOCUS principles)
1. The cover photo is a friend of mine. The photo was edited in Adobe Photoshop. The hat was a very bright blue and the red on her hoodie was very bright as well. I didn’t want them to be the focus of the magazine so I changed the levels of the image and used the brush tool to make the change appear only over the hat and hoodie.
2. Blue is a nice color and is appealing to the eyes. I used blue for the entire design and allowed for a lot of white space.
3. The blue border I think added a nice touch and the magazine looked a little plain without it. When I added the blue border I then got the inspiration to have the light blue bullet points bellow the featured articles.
4. The spread was a little harder to accomplish. The pictures were all ones that I took. I liked the look of the selfie at the top of the spread because I felt that it portrayed joy from an average person’s view point. The one on the bottom right is of myself and even though I did not click the button on my own, I was the mastermind behind the camera and the photo. I just had someone else push the button.
5. The blue color and the fonts have were kept consistent throughout the cover and the spread.
I initially had the photo black and white. It really made the magazine look a little drab and was not very appealing. I then was encouraged to do a color image but maybe tone down the levels in the hat and hoodie. After the critique I also found a better font that better connected with the theme of the magazine.
Keep connected. There are many opportunities to keep connected with the world around you. It has more to do with style and popularity. People are encouraged to first find and then express who they are.
Millennial’s and other’s who are wanting to keep up with the times.
TOP THING LEARNED
Less is more. Colors matter. I felt that I needed to fill every space but leaving whit area really makes it feel clean and readable. Colors matter because at first the picture was black and whit and the really looked like a depressing magazine.
COLOR SCHEME & COLOR NAMES
Analogous // Blues
TITLE FONT NAME & CATEGORY
Avenir Next Condensed // San Serif
COPY FONT NAME & CATEGORY
Bakersville // Serif
THUMBNAILS OF IMAGES USED