I was able to edit these pictures before doing this assignment. I felt that the green was a nice calming color that could be used in this photobook spread. It us just a draft of the photobook that I will complete at the end of the semester. The three vertical pictures that I had are grouped to the left side of the last page and the other two photos were taken horizontally and fit better as the large pictures.
My photography skills up to this point have mostly been self taught. I have always enjoyed taking pictures of nature and of my family but I never had the expertise to edit them until recently. Last summer I had to edit many photos for my family’s chocolate company and put them on the website. During that time I had to teach myself how to use photoshop by watching YouTube videos. After taking a couple classes I already know a lot more than I did last summer.
Posted are some of the photos that I have taken previously.
I was about 14 when I took the picture of the lily. This was when I realized that I enjoyed photography and began taking more and more pictures. This photo was never edited.
The three images of Christmas Chocolates are from a year ago. I had to get my family’s chocolate website ready for the Christmas season. I had no experience at all in Adobe Photoshop but, with the help of YouTube I was able to watch tutorials that helped me do these edits. The cropping was so hard for me and now that I have taken some classes I now know of easier ways that I could have cropped these images.
Last Christmas I wanted to surprise my mom and take updated pictures of my brothers. I was able to use my dad’s work camera, but the only lens that he had was a macro lens. It was hard to get the photos to work but I managed to get the following two images. I then used photoshop to take some of the red out of their cheeks.
This last image was taken just this past week. I just happened to be walking down the side walk and saw a pretty tulip, then all of a sudden there was this ladybug. I had my camera on me and was able to take a picture. In photoshop all I did was adjust the contrast a bit.
Created a mock magazine cover and one spread.
PROCESS (Programs, Tools, Skills, FOCUS principles)
1. The cover photo is a friend of mine. The photo was edited in Adobe Photoshop. The hat was a very bright blue and the red on her hoodie was very bright as well. I didn’t want them to be the focus of the magazine so I changed the levels of the image and used the brush tool to make the change appear only over the hat and hoodie.
2. Blue is a nice color and is appealing to the eyes. I used blue for the entire design and allowed for a lot of white space.
3. The blue border I think added a nice touch and the magazine looked a little plain without it. When I added the blue border I then got the inspiration to have the light blue bullet points bellow the featured articles.
4. The spread was a little harder to accomplish. The pictures were all ones that I took. I liked the look of the selfie at the top of the spread because I felt that it portrayed joy from an average person’s view point. The one on the bottom right is of myself and even though I did not click the button on my own, I was the mastermind behind the camera and the photo. I just had someone else push the button.
5. The blue color and the fonts have were kept consistent throughout the cover and the spread.
I initially had the photo black and white. It really made the magazine look a little drab and was not very appealing. I then was encouraged to do a color image but maybe tone down the levels in the hat and hoodie. After the critique I also found a better font that better connected with the theme of the magazine.
Keep connected. There are many opportunities to keep connected with the world around you. It has more to do with style and popularity. People are encouraged to first find and then express who they are.
Millennial’s and other’s who are wanting to keep up with the times.
TOP THING LEARNED
Less is more. Colors matter. I felt that I needed to fill every space but leaving whit area really makes it feel clean and readable. Colors matter because at first the picture was black and whit and the really looked like a depressing magazine.
COLOR SCHEME & COLOR NAMES
Analogous // Blues
TITLE FONT NAME & CATEGORY
Avenir Next Condensed // San Serif
COPY FONT NAME & CATEGORY
Bakersville // Serif
THUMBNAILS OF IMAGES USED