June 9, 2016
Speaker: Andra Hansen
Topic: Organizational Communication & Advocacy
Advocacy: The act of pleading for, supporting, or recommending a cause or course of action.
Top 10 Skills Employers Want (from 2015)
- Work in a team structure
- Make decisions and solve problems
- Communicate verbally inside and outside an organization
- Say it so you don’t offend, be considerate
- Plan, organize, and prioritize work
- Obtain and process information
- Analyze quantitative data
- Technical knowledge related to job
- Proficiency with software
- Create and/or edit written reports
- Sell and influence others
- Solve the issue, find who to talk to and who can help
- Research for ways to improve
- Communicate with others to problem solve and make an environment better
- Influence Change
June 2, 2016
Speaker: Michael Cannon
Topic: Public Relations
The purpose of Public Relations is to communicate between two different sources.
We are the communication between two sources for example a boss and a team within a company or between a company and the public. We must have good writing skills, communication skills. You are connecting to audiences together. It is getting messages out to the public as well, many times these messages are portrayed in a way that looks like advertising but they are sponsored by others.
PR(public relations) can be defined as Performance Recognition.
“Public Relations helps an organization and its publics adapt mutually to each other. Public relations is an organization’s efforts to win the cooperation of groups of people.”
PR must play to emotion but be genuine. The power of words can change the world. Example from the video of the blind man. (“I’m blind, please help” or “It’s a beautiful day, but I CAN’T see it”) Use words the way an artist uses colors and tones, create and describe, paint with your words.